Friday, September 5, 2008

Are You Serious?!?! Amy Goodman Among Journalists Arrested at the RNC?!?!

As I sit nannying on this Friday night, I have decided to catch up on my own blogroll.  Admittedly, I'm a slack-ass when it comes to staying informed on current events.  I operate on a philosophy that pretty much figures if something's important enough, somebody's gonna tell me about it.  I'm more of a remedial newspaper reader.  BUT the truth of the matter is that some things should be found out sooner than later.  For example, the "free press" debacle at the Republican National Convention this week that I discovered while reading my back-logged Bitch posts.  

When sitting at my mother's house in Pennsylvania, secluded verging on sequestered, my one solace is the daily airing of Democracy Now!.  Its host, Amy Goodman, has long been one of my feminist role models.  And guess what -- she done got arrested while covering the RNC in St. Paul this past Wednesday.  That's right.  Charged with "misdemeanor obstruction of a legal process and interference with a peace officer" according to Democracy Now!'s website.  While trying to inquire about the arrests of two of the show's producers, knocked over in what amounts to youtube-able harrassment (screaming their press status all the while), Goodman was handcuffed and hauled off.  The arrest toll for the week is pretty staggering in general; the Associated Press counts almost 400, journalists accounting for at least 19 of those.  Freedom of the press, anyone? Hmmm... 

Producer Nicole Salazar of Democracy Now!'s Arrest (this is a little bit horrifying...):

Amy Goodman's Arrest:

-Andrea

No comments: