Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Guerrilla Gauge

At yesterday's Monday Night Feminism, we began hammering out the relationship between guerrilla feminism/ art and Upstate Feminists. Aside from the many covert ops we have in the works, we also thought it might be a good idea to start a working definition of guerrilla in its noun form. Many of us expressed different perspectives on some of the words involved. So we invite you, one and all, to start the discussion. Comment. We give you the definition. You give us feedback. Do you like these words? How do they feel (subversive, positive, negative, controversial, icky, yummy, etc.)? Do you feel compelled to redefine it? Go ahead. Have your way with it:

Main Entry: 1guer·ril·la
Variant(s): or gue·ril·la \gə-ˈri-lə, ge-, g(y)i-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Spanish guerrilla, from diminutive of guerra war, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German werra strife — more at war
Date: 1809
: a person who engages in irregular warfare especially as a member of an independent unit carrying out harassment and sabotage*

*definition taken from Merriam-Webster Online.

-- Andrea

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think it is controversial, and am loving every minute of it :) I think that in order to get things done, we must, as one of my many idols said, do it by any means necessary.

I'm ready to UF this place UP!

*giving a terrorist tap to all*

-----SH-----

gildedturd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gildedturd said...

Lol -- I agree... I like the controversy of the definition. Though I'm all about inclusiveness and don't want to alienate people unnecessarily, I think that the bravado of the definition speaks for itself and creates all kinds o' hype. I like it. I like the inclusion of "sabotage" and "harassment." How'd we describe it yesterday? Playfully militant? Yeah...

Get 'em talkin's what I say...

*terrorist tapping right back*

gildedturd said...

this is Drea, btw...

*one more terrorist tap while we still can*

Sarah said...

I like the idea of harassment. It's about refusing to stay quiet about injustices both overt and subtle. Like it was mentioned at the meeting, nobody likes being told they're sexist.

As Margaret Cho puts it, "Feminism is nonnegotiable. Word to your mother."